Monday, February 23, 2009

Run to My Father

There's something about my children that make them want to call us Mother and Father. With Moriah as soon as she turned 4, Mommy and Daddy were no more for Mother and Father had been born. Luke, on the other hand, calls us Momma and Daddy when addressing us. However, if he is speaking about us to anyone, he refers to us as "my mother" or "my father." Actually, it's mutter and fotter; but we won't get technical. This is a disclaimer that is necessary to lead into this story.....

One cold evening in December, the kids and I were traveling back to Perryville trying to make it home for the local Christmas Parade. The tank was on empty and we had not a minute to spare to make it in time. We drove in on fumes and a prayer.

As we topped the hill coming into our quaint little town, I could see that the parade had already started. The police had the road blocked and I could see the lights and hear the sirens of the many firetrucks that were participating. I quickly made a detour and headed down the back streets. I knew that if I drove quickly but carefully we could make it to the Courthouse Square before the parade.

We arrived safely to our destination. I grabbed Luke and all of the blankets (and the keys too, you know I don't always do that). Moriah had already ran ahead of us because it just wouldn't be cool to wait. We found a spot on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse. We cuddled up in the blankets and got settled in to watch the festivities.

There were firetrucks loaded with firemen and families from every community sounding their sirens, flashing their lights, and throwing candy to the children. Policemen with their blue lights on shouting "Merry Christmas" to everyone. Motorcycles and horses adorned in wreaths and lights. It was a truly happy time.

In the distance, I could hear the marching band coming. This is always especially exciting for us. Luke starts jumping up and down screaming, "I hear the band. My father's coming." It was a sweet little voice that had all of the ladies "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing and had me on cheek-pinching alert. As the band got closer and closer, the excitement built. Finally, the point was reached when Luke got a visual on his long awaited quest.

"It's my Father! It's my Father! I see him, he's coming" He throws his blanket off, runs out into the street, and grabs his daddy by the legs. "I love you!" he says to his father.

"I love you too Son!" John says as he bends over, wraps him in his arms, lifts him up, and gives him a kiss. "I'll be back for you in a little bit."

The band was passing by where we were seated and John had to go. Luke seemed content to watch the rest of the parade knowing that he would get to see his daddy again soon.

What an awesome thing that had just happened in front of my very eyes. Eyes that sometimes can't see the obvious. Eyes that sometimes let my thoughts wander to where is God in all of this. And there He is....EVERYWHERE in EVERYTHING! No matter where I am, I can run to Him and be assured that My Father will never be too busy to wrap me in his arms, lift me up,and let me know I am loved. I can continue to enjoy the blessings that He has given me. And, Praise HIM! He WILL be back for me in a little bit. Isn't that a great feeling?

Proverbs 8:17--"I love those who love me,
and those who seek me find me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I got my Bible down & read the chapter. Just what I needed today. Linda Lovett