Saturday, March 11, 2006

Fire Ants

I just received an email from a friend of mine in Waldron (AR) regarding how to treat your yard for fire ants. This got me to thinking. I never remember seeing fire ants in Waldron the whole time I lived there. I only recall hearing about these creatures invading my hometown after John, Moriah, and I moved to Atlanta, TX.

Which makes me wonder..............did we, on one of our weekend visits, transport these little, nasty, more painful than smashing your toe in a car door creatures? I don't even remember seeing the pesticides that will take care of them in Waldron. I guess fire ants are gradually moving North. Maybe they will all go to Michigan and freeze to death.

When we lived in Texas, they were horrible in our yards. We treated our yards on a weekly basis. We could not even let Moriah out in the yard to play unless we were out there with her to make sure they had built no mounds around where she was playing.

I remember one time when the fire ants built a mound under our doghouse. They invaded Chloe's house and decided to move in. Chloe did not care for this. It was a few weeks later that we noticed she was not sleeping in her house. We didn't really think a whole lot about it (she is a strange dog, anyway) until one night when it came a gully-washer. Chloe did not get under the overhang of the house, or under a tree, or even scratch on the back door. She simply sat out in the rain (in front of her doghouse) and cried (BAHHHHWOOOOOOO! BAHHHHHWOOOOO!). If you know anything about Basset Hounds, you know exactly how that sounds. We finally got the house treated and took care of her pest problem. She still has trouble sleeping in that house even though it know sits on a brick patio with virtually no chance of infestation (except what was on her to begin with).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fire ants were here before you left. Just not as bad as they are now. We always wondered if Matt brought them from Monticello. We started having them when he was in college down there. 1999-2002