Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Fultz Family Doctor Visit.

Yesterday, Moriah, Luke, and I made the pilgrimage to Dr. Cheshier in Ft. Smith. It was Moriah's check up for 9 years and Luke's for 9 months. It was, of course, eventful.

Luke was first. I got him undressed to be weighed. This is always exciting...to see how long he is and how much weight he has gained. I carried him to the scale, put him on the pad, and he proceeded to "pee-pee".................all over the place! He sat there and grinned up at us as he soaked everything around him. He was 21 lbs by the way. I guess that includes a quart of peepee.

Dr. Cheshier came in. Moriah was first. He didn't say much except, of course, about her weight. Which was not as bad as what I thought. He said she was 20 lbs. over weight. He tickled her and talked to her about school and all of the Moriah stuff. Then, he started to examine Luke. I asked him if it would be okay if Moriah went out and sat with her Nanna while he was examining Luke. I was wanting to talk to him about Moriah. He said they were going to do some lab work on Moriah so he needed her to stay.

Moriah thought it would be fun to watch as Luke was poked and prodded on. Luke didn't have any immunizations at 9 months so I figured this was going to be Easy Street. Moriah did really well and enjoyed Luke's portion of the visit until it came time for Dr. Cheshier to examine Luke's little boy parts. When that diaper came off, Moriah screamed and ran to the corner and buried her face. Dr. Cheshier rolled his eyes back in his head. And, much to my amazement and relief, Luke didn't laugh during the examination. Luke enjoys having his diaper changed and laughs the "Beavis and Butthead" laugh when you touch him in his "special" place.

Then, the nurses came in to do the lab work on Moriah. I don't know what I was expecting for lab work on a 9 year old, but I am certain it was not as traumatic as it turned out to be. I took Luke out to my mother in the waiting room. It was my job to hold Moriah's hand while they tortured her. She looked up at me and said, "Why are you letting them hurt me?" One nurse was taking the blood sample, one was hold her arm, and I was holding her hand and rubbing her face as her legs were flailing about. She screamed and cried and begged them to stop. Don't you know....just my luck...they didn't get a vein the first time. We had to take a break and try again. They tried again, this time it was successful (????? Define successful??????) She cried, screamed, gnashed teeth. All the time looking at me and asking why I was letting them do this to her. I tried to reassure her by telling her it would be okay and it was almost over and they were almost finished. In the meantime, she was screaming "IT IS NOT OKAY, IT IS NOT ALMOST OVER, IT IS OVER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS IT, IT IS FINISHED, THIS IS THE END!!!!!!!!!!" Yes, I am a bad mother. I had to look away because I thought that statement was funny. Then, the nurse drew the last drop of blood that she needed. Moriah took a deep breath, sighed, and said, "WELL, That was exciting!" One of the nurses said, "You know, I don't think I've ever heard it expressed quite that way."

Then, we left the doctor's office and went to eat pizza. All is well in the Fultz house once again!


btw, the blood work was to test for thyroid disease.

No comments: