Friday, March 24, 2006

Snap, Crackle, Pop...........NOT Rice Krispies!!!!!!!!

The insanity reality show that is our lives has just finished another episode. It is about 2AM CST and I am in the popason chair in our family room (den). John, Moriah, and Luke are asleep on the sleeper sofa. We put Luke in his bed around 10pm. He was long since asleep. Moriah was asleep on the couch and I told John to wake her up when he came to bed. Remember! We still don't have heat!

I was in bed trying to get comfortable. I hear the jingle of the butterfly bead curtains on Moriah's bedroom door as she goes to her room. John comes to get in bed.

We had just settled down when Moriah walks in our bedroom. I said to her, "Hey Baby! What's wrong?" Before this finished coming out of my mouth John says, "I smell something burning!" Moriah replies with a bit of fear in her voice, "It's my light switch!" (Which coincidentally is next to the furnace!!)

John and I both jump out of bed. Moriah starts to panic. I asked her what the light switch was doing. She told me that it was cracking and popping. John told me to grab Luke out of his bed. I was prepared to run for the door. Moriah, Luke, and I were standing in the hallway waiting for the word to go.

John was in Moriah's room. He says, "Tamara, put Luke down on our bed and Moriah, you stay with Luke." He told me to come in Moriah's room. The wall around Moriah's light switch was hot. The switch would not move up or down. There was a touch of black on the side. John takes the light switch cover off and the whole inside of the switch was burned. It had been on fire. We were trying to figure out what to do when the light in the room started flickering. It hadn't been on.

Okay, I'm panicking now! John has me go out to the breaker box to turn off the breaker for Moriah's room. I go out and start flipping switches. John yells to tell me that I had flipped the breaker. I go back in the house; had just started to calm a bit; the light starts to flicker AGAIN!!!!! Now, this is a bit unsettling.

So, we figure out that was not the breaker for her room (geniuses, eh?). So, John being the intelligent man that he is (I'm not kidding about that), gives me the cell phone, he gets the home phone, calls the cell phone and now we can communicate so I will know exactly which breaker is the right one. Everything is hunky dorry now, right? I'm going down that breaker box flipping switches like a mad woman. "No, No, No, that's not it, not that one...." The phone goes dead. I'm thinking was it the cell phone or the house phone. It was the house phone! I had flipped the breaker for the house phone. I turned it back on and tried to call John back. Our house phone is plugged in an outlet in the kitchen; Moriah's room is on the other end of the house. John comes to the laundry room door (where the breaker box is) and tells me "You're not going to believe this but the switch in her room and the phone are on the same breaker." At this point, I'm irrational but I have now reached John on the house phone. Actually, I think maybe he called me back. However, I do know that we are standing about 12 inches apart talking to each other on the phone and it was not at all humorous at the time. So, I flipped the breaker to the phone/light switch on the other end of the hallway.

Okay, so no doubt, Moriah will not re-enter her room..........probably EVER!!!!!!!!! I am now agreeing with her that we need to move back to Atlanta. She's saying "I never liked this house anyway!" Luke is smiling (as always, oh to be a baby again!). We start to prepare for our little "camping" adventure in the den. I packed a suitcase with a change of clothes for each of us and plenty of clean undies and placed it by the door along with the kids' Easter clothes, the car keys, my wallet, the camera, and this computer (well, when I get through with this). I figure if I'm going to be left with only the clothes on my back...............I don't want to only wear sweats. We now have an escape plan (just in case).

John says "Will you fix Luke a bottle?" I go to the refrigerator, open the door, and the light isn't on. I close the door, push the water dispenser button on the freezer door, and nothing happens. I walk back into the family room, look at John, and say "Guess what! The refrigerator is on the same breaker with the phone and Moriah's room." OH PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!! Will this ever stop? I doubt that our neighbor's have any electricity because I just bet their house is on the same breaker with Moriah's room.........and the phone!!!!!

Anyway, please pray for our safety. Moriah is a little scared to even go in her room. I'm a little scared to go to sleep. John (Mr. PANIC USA) is relatively calm; asleep; and snoring right now which is scary in itself. Luke is just being Luke which is probably the only normalcy that is keeping us from cracking!!! I guess we will be spending some quality time with our landlord tomorrow, or today................when daylight comes! Day-O! Day-O! Daylight comes and me want go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: